Thursday, January 14, 2010

El Café

I can´t count how many times I was told before I left Albuquerque that Guatemala has THE best coffee. Everyone said: They´re famous for it! So imagine my surprise when the only coffee I had for days was instant. And no, not the decent instant coffee Starbucks recently marketed. But rather, instant Folgers.

While drinking watery coffee with only sugar in it this morning at school, mi maestro told me, that Antigua has the best conditions for growing coffee plants in the entire region. (?????)Apparently, because of the way that Antigua is situated between the three volcanos here, the temperatures and terrain forms a coffee bean haven. I can´t tell you much more about the way it works because my Spanish comprehension still needs work, and lo siento but it´s difficult to explain the way clouds and geography works with only basic Spanish. I´m also not entirely sure that my teacher knew the scientific reason either. And, just to toss out more excuses, my google here is in el Español también.

So, determined to understand the hype about Antigua´s coffee, I set out to find something that could justify everyone´s claim. And yes, after tasting a coffee drink that was processed through an espresso machine and mixed with hot milk, I must say it is good. At least certainly better than Folgers.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time and spending the money to keep everyone posted on your adventure. Your posts are such an expression of yourself that it doesn't feel like you are 1,700+ miles away. Please continue posting and let me know if you need financial support to do so!

    ReplyDelete