Sunday, February 20, 2011

4 Month Anniversary

Today, I have officially been "on the road" for 4 months. And as Amanda and I celebrate our traveling anniversary, I reflect on how funny the concept of time is.

For time works in mysterious ways:

Individual days pass slower, yet months fly by.

I feel like I have been gone for ages, but somehow, at the same time, that I have only just begun.

The more I see, the more I realize how much will be left undiscovered . . . this visit.

I have only a broken watch and hardly ever know what time it is. And I absolutely never know what time zone I am in, ever.

I have never thought so much about time while also having it mean so little.

Time is no longer associated with routine, but is rather just the passing of moments and of another experience.

And mostly, when I am away, I think about home. When I am home, I dream of leaving and exploring. When I get to a new, beautiful place, I think I would love to come back here again! Yet I am here now. How does one stay in the moment?

4 months is hardly anything within the bigger picture. Yet after reflecting on everything we have seen and done in the last 120 days, it seems like an eon ago since I was in the States.

So, here is a toast to tossing routine to the wind and tumbling through our days with a new meaning of time.

4 comments:

  1. HApppppppy Anniversary Honey!!! You know how I feel about time so I won't write it here, but soy de acuerdo to all of the above.

    Love love loveee you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs to you both (love the picture)! Oh, the dialogue we could have on this topic! Reminds me of a Buddhist sutra which states: "If you want to understand the causes that existed in the past, look at the results as they are manifested in the present. And if you want to understand what results will be manifested in the future, look at the causes that exist in the present."

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Tots. relative lol ... Four months is lifetime for a fruit fly in fact if you are a fruit fly and make it to four months you are as good as imortal!!!!
    I'm glad you lost time and found time and lost it.... time is yours and yours alone.. A broken watch now seems like the the best thing to bring everywhere....
    "Clocks slay time... time is dead as long as it is being clicked off by little wheels; only when the clock stops does time come to life.
    ~William Faulkner

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need a dose of this kind of time! The things you learn when you break down habit and routine!

    ReplyDelete